The man arrested in connection with the murder of top cop Charl Kinnear in Cape Town is expected to appear in the Bishop Lavis Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Kinnear was gunned down near his house in Bishop Lavis last Friday.
The Hawks have confirmed that the 39-year-suspect was arrested in Gauteng on Wednesday.
Fifty-two-year-old Kinnear was working for the Anti- Gang- Unit in Cape Town.
He had been investigating high-profile cases such as the murder of prominent lawyer Pete Mihalik, underworld boss Nafiz Modack, and eight high-ranking police officers who are accused of colluding with fellow officers at the Central Firearm Registry.
Hawks spokesperson, Hangwani Mulaudzi says the motive of the murder is still under investigation and that more arrests are expected.
Kinnear best at his job
Meanwhile, Police Minister Bheki Cele on Saturday said Kinnear was the best of the best at his job.
The minister said it appeared that the SAPS had failed the slain cop after withdrawing security at his house in 2019, but an investigation is underway to determine why this had happened.
“It’s not everyday where you find the media saying ‘this was the best of the best’. I’ve read the article saying so. Usually, police are lambasted, are forever ugly, are forever doing things that no one appreciates.”
“But, for him [journalist] to say we lost the best of the best, it tells you what kind of a man that we have lost,” said Cele.
On Sunday, NGO Forensics-for-Justice, headed by forensic investigator Paul O’Sullivan, said they have already received several important leads regarding the murder of Kinnear.
The organisation is offering a R1 million reward for information that could lead to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.