MINISTER OF HUMAN SETTLEMENTS, WATER, AND SANITATION CALLS FOR NOMINATIONS FOR THE APPOINTMENT OF BOARD MEMBERS TO GOVERN UMGENI WATER.
The Minister of Human Settlements, Water, and Sanitation is the Executive Authority and shareholder of Umgeni Water. She is responsible for the appointment of Board Members of Water Boards. Umgeni Water is a National Government business entity, operating in terms of the Water Services Act, 1997 (Act No. 108 of 1997) and listed as a schedule 3b in the Public Finance Management Act, 1999 (Act No. 1 of 1999).
The primary role of Umgeni Water is to provide bulk water services to other water institutions, mainly municipalities in the KwaZulu-Natal Province. Umgeni Water’s operational area is bounded by the uThukela River in the North, the Mtamvuna River in the South, the Indian Ocean in the East, and Drakensberg Mountains in the West. Individuals and organisations are invited to submit nominations of suitably qualified persons to be considered for appointment as members of the Board of Umgeni Water on or before 08 February 2021.
Accordingly, the Board must comprise of interested, suitably qualified, and skilled members having extensive experience (of no less than eight years) in one or more of the following areas:
• Engineering with experience in infrastructure planning, development, and management.
• Water resource management
• Environmental management
• Water services experience in a municipal environment
• Finance, Audit and Risk
• Human resources management and development
• Information technology and innovation
Grounds for Disqualification:
• A nominee will not be considered to hold office as a member of the Board if he/she is an unrehabilitated insolvent, has been convicted of any offence involving dishonesty, fraud or has been sentenced to imprisonment without the option of a fine.
• Officials working for the Department of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation, and entities reporting to the Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation will also be disqualified.
The appointed Board Members shall receive a stipend determined and approved by the Minister of Human Settlements, Water, and Sanitation. The stipend is paid in respect of expenses incurred in and during attendance of official duties.
Upon appointment, the Minister reserves the right to conduct probity checks (criminal and civil records; reference checks; verification of qualifications and experience; credit record and integrity test). Every nomination of a person for appointment to the Board must be signed by a proposer and seconder, none of whom may be the nominee, and must also contain the nominee’s signed acceptance. No person may nominate or second more than one candidate.
Nominations, together with a Curriculum Vitae and copy of the nominee’s ID, as well as motivation as to the suitability of the nominee, should be submitted to:
The Department of Water and Sanitation, Directorate: Institutional Oversight. Attention: Ms S Govender, Private Bag X313, Pretoria. The nominees should forward their application letter, CV, and certified qualifications online / electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 08 February 2021