Pretoria – President Jacob Zuma has received and accepted the resignation of the Chairperson of the Board of the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC), Professor Mbulaheni Obert Maguvhe.
“The President has thanked Professor Maguvhe for his services during his tenure at the SABC and wished him all the best for his future endeavours,” the Presidency said on Monday.
Maguvhe was the last remaining non-executive board member at the public broadcaster. Last week he appeared before a parliamentary inquiry looking into the board’s fitness to hold office.
He also attempted to stop the inquiry from going ahead, only to turn around and claim he had no idea that he would have to pay for the cost of the court application. This, in spite of Judge Siraj Desai’s ruling that Maguvhe had to pay for the cost of the failed application.
Maguvhe, when responding to questions from the inquiry, said people who leaked information from the public broadcaster were not loyal, adding that if it were up to him, he would fire everyone and start afresh.
He previously praised embattled former chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng for doing a sterling job at the broadcaster.