JOHANNESBURG – FIFA presidential candidate Tokyo Sexwale has withdrawn from running for the FIFA presidency.
“I’ll surprise you..my campaign ends today, and I suspend my participation,” Sexwale announced during his speech in Zurich Friday.
Tokyo Sexwale of South Africa has decided to drop out of the election for FIFA President. Four candidates remain: https://t.co/e8M2XHHuYt
— FIFA Media (@fifamedia) February 26, 2016
Four candidates are left in the race to replace the embattled Sepp Blatter.
Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan, Sheik Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa of Bahrain, Jerome Champagne of France, Gianni Infantino of Italy will battle it out for the top post.
Sexwale announced his intention last year to for the FIFA presidency after receiving the endorsement of the South African Football Association National Executive Committee.
Sexwale submitted his candidature papers to Fifa after receiving the unanimous backing of his national federation, he said at a news conference in Johannesburg last year.
“We must regain the trust of the public and the community out there so that FIFA can be the incredible organisation it was when it started.
“It was a good run for me to run alongside the others. My campaign is suspended as from now,” concluded Sexwale.
Here are the remaining four candidates:
(FIFA presidential candidate, French Jerome Champagne. EPA/JULIEN WARNAND)
(UEFA General Secretary Gianni Infantino. Alain Grosclaude / AFP)
(Prince Ali bin al Hussein of Jordan. AFP PHOTO / Michael Bradley)
(The President of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Shaikh Salman. AFP PHOTO / Sajjad Hussain)
— Neal Collins (@nealcol) February 26, 2016
Sexwale has a plan, he’s being smart. Saw he wasn’t going to win, his withdrawal is him thinking long-term.
“Open to alliances”, he said.
— Joe Crann (@YesWeCrann) February 26, 2016
Tokyo Sexwale announces on the podium that he’s pulling out of the #FIFAPresidentialElection. Exactly what was the point?
— Barney Mthombothi (@mthombothi) February 26, 2016