Management at the Michelangelo Hotel in Sandton says it’s now safe for guests to return to the building after a nearby restaurant caught fire.
The hotel says it evacuated guests as a precautionary measure.
Officials from the fire department managed to contain the blaze and paramedics treated a few people for smoke inhalation.
A suction duct from a restaurant at Nelson Mandela square caught fire earlier on Wednesday and four floors of the building were affected.
Hundreds of people were evacuated from the area, including guests staying at the nearby Michelangelo Hotel.
The hotel’s Glenn Strutchbury said: “In the interests of our guests’ safety, we made sure that we evacuated the hotel to make sure that everyone is safe. That was done and we’re pleased with services from the emergency services.”
On the other side of the mall, it has been business as usual with people doing their shopping.