JOHANNESBURG – Africa’s biggest mobile phone operator MTN Group said on Tuesday that Mteto Nyati, the chief executive of its South African unit, will be resigning on March and will be replaced by Godfrey Motsa on the same day.
Motsa is currently a vice president of the South and East Africa region at MTN Group, and has more than 10 years of experience in the mobile telecoms industry.
Motsa was previously CEO of Vodacom in Lesotho and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and more recently Chief Officer Consumer Business Unit at Vodacom SA.
MTN Group reported a $108 million annual loss last week, its first in two decades, hit by a regulatory fine in Nigeria and unfavourable currency moves.
MTN agreed to pay a fine of 330 billion naira ($1.1 billion), reduced from $5.2 billion, in June last year after a prolonged legal battle to end a dispute in Nigeria over missing a deadline to cut off unregistered SIM cards.
Mteto Nyati is leaving his position as CEO of MTN South Africa to become the new Group Chief Executive of Altron.
Nyati joined MTN as Group Chief Enterprise Officer in October 2014, after working at Microsoft South Africa from 2008.
Nyati served as MD for Microsoft’s South African operations and had a short stint as the group’s General Manager for the MEA emerging regions.
Nyati will take up his role at Altron no later than 1 July 2017.
Robbie Venter will step down as Chief Executive in due course. He will remain on the Altron board as a non-executive director.
“Mteto has in-depth blue chip technology experience… [and] has extensive experience in both the business-to-business and business-to-consumer markets. We are extremely pleased to have him on board and are confident that he, the board, and Robbie will work well together during the handover phase,” said Mike Leeming, chairman of the Altron board.