A Queensland mum got a nasty shock after Halloween face paint purchased from Woolworths apparently left her son with severe burns.
Alexandra Leigh Carter said four-year-old Mckenzie wore the $4 makeup for just three minutes before he complained it was hurting his face.
“[I] had to immediately take him for a shower. It has severely burnt his skin,” Ms Carter wrote on Facebook.
Alexandra Leigh Carter claims this Halloween makeup kit from Woolworths burnt her son’s face within three minutes of the product being on his skin.
The mum-of-three immediately phoned 13-HEALTH who advised her to administer an antihistamine to her son and keep a close eye on his condition.
Ms Carter wrote to the supermarket giant on Facebook, posting pictures of her son’s red and blotchy face after she removed the makeup.
“I’d like to see this product discontinued in case another child has to go through this or the parent that’s scared for her/his child. What rubbish!” she wrote.
Ms Carter explained that she took all measures to make sure the product was safe for her son, who had his face painted in the past without any bad reaction. Ms Carter did a skin test, applying the makeup on the boy’s arm before applying it to his face. The skin on his arm did not show any reaction to the Halloween makeup.
“We did this as a trial run for Halloween and safe to say I’ll never be using face paint again,” the horrified mum wrote on Facebook.
Mckenzie’s mum wrote on Facebook that her little boy asked if his face would stay burnt like this forever.
A spokeswoman for Woolworths told 7News Online that Ms Carter’s complaint was the first they had received about the product since it hit the shelves earlier this month.
“We always work hard with our suppliers to ensure all products supplied meet the safety and quality standards our customers expect,” she said.
“This product has gone through thorough testing with our supplier, and customers should be assured that it meets our stringent quality standards.”
Ms Carter was pleased that Woolworth’s was quick to respond to her complaint and she said that they are testing the product and possibly recalling it.