JOHANNESBURG – The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Thursday said it was concerned by reports that Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini “fobbed off” a task team initiated by KZN Premier Senzo Mchunu to probe last year’s wide-spread xenophobic violence in the province.
The team, headed by Judge Navi Pillay, had posed questions to the King following claims that his utterances at a Pongola event had sparked the violence.
According to reports, the King failed to respond on the basis that he had already responded to queries from the Human Rights Commission which was also conducting a probe.
“The DA regards this as unacceptable. As a beneficiary of public funds, the King had a duty to respond to the Premier’s task team,” Sizwe Mchunu, the leader of the DA in the KZN Legislature.
“Lives were lost and thousands displaced during the violence and it is critical that every avenue is investigated in order to prevent a repeat of such discord.”
Mchunu said the DA was committed to this process.
“We will request that a full copy of Judge Pillay’s report is made available to members at the next portfolio committee meeting for the Office of the Premier.
“It is essential that all stakeholders in the province are committed to accountability.”
The Royal Household could not be immediately reached for comment.