Pretoria – Partial details of how former SABC board member Hope Zinde met her bloody end came to light on Tuesday when the investigating officer in the matter gave evidence in the bail application of her murder accused son.
Mark Warona Zinde was granted R10 000 bail when the magistrate found he was not a flight risk.Investigating officer, Warrant Officer A Motsepe, said he had no reason to believe that Mark would be a flight risk despite having travel documents.
The investigating officer with 14 years’ experience, told the court of the bloody scene that greeted him at Mark’s home on the day his mother’s body was discovered.“When I arrived at the estate, Mark was already in the back of a police van. Three officers who called me to the scene led me into the house,” Motsepe said.
“When I entered through the front door, there was dry blood in the passage. There were towels and a bucket filled with clean water. I was led to the garage where two vehicles, a Jeep and Mercedes Benz were parked. I was shown where the applicant had left the deceased’s body; inside the Jeep,” Motsepe said.
He also testified that it appeared as though a dumbbell was used to assault Hope.
“The deceased had an injury to the side of the head. It appeared as though a dumbbell was used to hit the deceased as it was found at the scene,” he said.
Mark is facing a charge of murder after his mother was found stuffed in the boot of her vehicle at their Pecanwood Estate in Hart-beespoort in June. As part of his bail conditions, he is to report to De Deur police station in the Vaal area, every day until his matter is concluded.
An emotional and teary Audrey Zinde said she was relieved and joyful that her grandson, had been granted bail. “It was too much. We were praying and fasting. But today we are happy that God answered our prayers.”
The family was addressing the media after the 23-year-old was granted bail by the Brits Magistrate’s Court. His father, Dr Lebohang Manoto, said the family had experienced a challenging period, but was happy that he was returning home.
“It’s been very difficult. Warona is confused. He’s very depressed. He’s been in and out of psychiatric units, and at the time of this incident his mom was making arrangements for him to see doctors,” Manoto said.
The family was seen praying in the dock throughout court proceedings. “This is a perfect opportunity for me to bond with him. We’ll take jogs to the police station. I’m the remaining parent and I’m not overwhelmed by the responsibility of taking care of him.
“He’s very close to his younger sister, my daughter, and it’s just going to be fine. He will get better if he maintains a positive attitude… He’s just going through a confused period,” Manoto said.
State advocate Hanna Conradie had argued against bail. He said Mark would undermine or jeopardise the objectives of the criminal system along with the bail system. “The applicant does not have any assets that he can fall back on,” Conradie told the court.
Mark also did not have any children, nor was he married or employed, he said.
But investigating officer Motsepe testified: “I do not oppose bail as the applicant is not a flight risk, and as long as he reports at a police station.”
Motsepe also confirmed Mark’s alternative address; his father’s residence in Walkerville, south of Joburg.
Magistrate Moses Maswanganyi ruled there was no evidence that Mark would endanger the lives of those around him or commit further crimes as he was a first-time offender. “It was submitted by the State that the applicant would endanger the lives of those he would be living with. But it is the opinion of the State; there is no evidence thereof.
“Furthermore, the accused has no prior offences. Warrant Officer Motsepe also testified that it does not seem like the applicant will evade his trial, influence witnesses or destroy evidence that may be used against him.” The case is back in court on November 22