The Gauteng Health Department says it is investigating the cause of a fire at the Bheki Mlangeni Hospital in Soweto.
Patients at the hospital were evacuated to a nearby hospital due to the smoke and toxic fumes from the blaze.
Gauteng Health MEC Gwen Ramokgopa says the building is not cleared as safe yet and the air conditioning vents still need to be cleaned.
Ramokgopa says, “The fire broke out in the admin block which is not in the wards. It was contained within a very short period of time, but the fumes were not safe for patients to continue staying there before the air-conditioning system has been cleaned up.”
“It is suspected that a heater or something like that caused the fire, but said it is most likely an electrical fault.”
Ramokgopa adds: “The labour department has been there to investigate and they have given clearance that the rest of the hospital can be occupied once the system has been cleaned.”