ZURICH – Football governing body FIFA on Thursday said it had awarded media right to five broadcasting groups in Sub-Saharan Africa for the 2018 World Cup and other football events taking place in 2017 and 2018.
Zurich-based FIFA said it had granted World Cup rights to the following groups:
* Econet Media, by way of free-to-air and pay-TV transmission for all of sub‑Saharan Africa except South Africa
* Supersport, by way of pay-TV transmission throughout the region
* SABC, by way of free-to-air transmission in South Africa
* StarTimes, by way of pay-TV transmission throughout the region, except in South Africa
* CANAL+, by way of pay-TV transmission throughout the region, except in South Africa and Nigeria Econet Media, Super sport, SABC and Star Times were granted further media rights for other 2017-2018 events.