The Department of Basic Education has warned people against attempting to disrupt learning to sabotage the academic year. This as Grade 7 learners return to public schools on Monday morning.
The Education Department says some members of school governing bodies have made threats against the opening of schools, saying it is unacceptable and still too dangerous.
This is the first time that Grade 7 learners are back at school since President Cyril Ramaphosa announced the postponement of classes last month.
Executive Director of the National Professional Teacher’s Organisation, NAPTOSA, Basil Manuel says precautions need to be put in place.
“First of all, it’s attendance – we would like to see the people there. Last week was a little disappointing with the matrics, not more than 70% returned. Then, of course, we want to see that schools are sticking to the rules, social distancing must be there and that the law is very strict that PPE’s must be there. If not in sufficient quantity, the principal must raise the alarm.”