JOHANNESBURG – SABC journalist Ivor Price announced his resignation from the organisation on Tuesday.
The current affairs radio presenter says he can no longer stay silent about what is going on at the broadcaster.
He posted a link to an article describing the road to his decision on his twitter page.
The article details a timeline of his service at the SABC beginning in 2013 and ending in after a storm of controversial actions taken at the broadcaster since the middle of the year.
Price said that “dark clouds started forming” at the end of May 2016 and that the team at Monitor (RSG’s current affairs programme) felt that while the news was free and fair, they were being observed.
He said recent events including the suspension of his colleagues, resignations of senior staff and protests at the SABC informed his decision to leave and made it easier to accept another job offer.
Price states in his article that he is not convinced that things will change at the national broadcaster because Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s “poisonous tentacles” have infiltrated most areas of the organisation.
He asserts that even if Motsoeneng were to leave the organisation, it would take a long while before journalists could overcome the fear that had been instilled during his tenure.
Price expressed gratitude for the experience he was afforded by the SABC and said he took off his hat to the staff that remains behind.
His last day on duty will be 5 August 2016.